Literacy/Phonics App Builder?

• Steve Gallagher
    Participant
    #610 |

Anybody know if there may be plans for development of a Literacy/Phonics App builder program? This would differ from the Reading App builder in that it would focus on formation and pronunciation of syllables, and then building known syllables into known words, rather than highlighting whole phrases or sentences at a time with synced audio.

• Richard
    Participant
    #612 |

Steve, I don’t know if this will answer your request exactly, but Reading App Builder allows you to specify audio clips which are played when a user taps on a word or picture.

• jala_mye
    Participant
    #78657 |

Steve, I am interested in whether Richard’s reply answered your question and what kind of experience you’ve had in your efforts to do this if you continued trying with RAB. I am interested in doing a similar thing but haven’t gotten around to experimenting with it yet.

• Koen
    Participant
    #78682 |

The Education for Life team in Papua New Guinea is currently building an Android app called ‘My Language Teacher’. This app will be different compared to RAB/SAB and DAB in the way that the app will be ready build, but the users will have access to a tool ‘Language Pack Builder’ that allows them to create new language packs for this app. This approach saves the user from installing Android Development Kit and such, and still allows them to change the languages (English/Tok Pisin will be standard), images, audio.

My Language Teacher will include spelling exercises, grammar games and phonics exercises.
    We plan to launch the first release in October 2017. It will then only include a bilingual picture dictionary, but with the ability to make it fit for your language!!

Check out http://educationforlife.sil.org.pg for more information…

• Steve Gallagher
    Participant
    #78708 |

Thanks so much for replying Koen! That sounds very exciting. Can’t wait for it to become available.

jla_mye, to answer your question, no. I haven’t done anything with phonics in the RAB. This was an idea that came to me, but I’ve not have the time or expertise to develop anything. What Koen describes sounds like a fabulous solution for all of us!

• jala_mye
    Participant
    #78756 |

Yes, that sounds great, Koen. We have demand here for an app that will help teach people their traditional language if they didn’t grow up learning it that well. I am guessing with the flexibility you describe, it should let us do that.

Will it support non-Roman scripts like the other app builders? Will one be able to pull pictures from Art of Reading? Those would be features I/my colleagues would be interested in. I hope to be able to use it soon too! Thanks for sharing! Please let us know when it’s available.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.