RAB 3.5 is not making pictures visible

• Steve Gallagher
    Participant
    #93026 |

Having built an app with RAB 3.5, I’m having a problem because all of my pictures which were reduced and optimized in Word 2016 according to RAB document instructions, do not show up in the app. In fact, none of the pictures show up. For many of them they are replaced by backslash codes \fig … \fig*, and for others there is a tiny icon that needs to be tapped which results in the image coming up, but filling the entire screen. This is not workable.

• jheath
    Participant
    #93031 |

I assume you imported the book from a .docx file? Can you select the book (under the “Books” folder in Reading App Builder) and click on the Source tab to the far right, and let us know what you see there? I.e. please copy and paste into a reply here what you see in the source for a few different pages – ones that show backslash codes and ones that show a tiny icon.

• Steve Gallagher
    Participant
    #93032 |

Hi jheath!

Thanks for responding. After posting the initial problem, I’ve gotten help from a friend who suggested my .docx file is too complex for the app builder. He suggested, since I’m not using audio, but only wishing to make the document available for reading on people’s phones, to instead create it as a pdf, which I’ve now done. This seems to be an adequate work around. However, it wasn’t until I got your reply and looked into the source tab that I realized that most of my images are not .jpg, but rather .tif ! It’s my wife who authored the .docx file and making into an app was only an afterthought which I’ve been tasked with. So the few .jpg files that were in there were showing up in the app as icons. The .tif files were showing up with the backslash code \fig …

So it seems that perhaps it is possible in app builder if I first reinsert the .tif images as .jpg. Since I’ve found an adequate work-around I don’t think I’m going to pursue this further in the app builder. But Thank you!
    Steve

\c 1
    \pc \bd Pananalenga Baibel Aea #1\bd*
    \pc \bd Deo ga Kadonga Mugaeai\bd*
    \b
    \b
    \b
    \pc \fig Bariai LLL Sunday School Book #1 (RAB)-image1.tif \fig*
    \pr Bible Teachers’ Guide
    \pr Bible Teachers’ Guide
    \m Bariai Language

• jheath
    Participant
    #93033 |

Yeah, there seem to be some mysteries about inserting images in .docx files and having RAB pick them up. The docs say:

Images are imported from Word documents or need to be specified separately if you use SFM format. They should be in JPEG or PNG format.

and

You can add images to the document in .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif or .gif formats and
    Microsoft Word will convert them automatically to the format recognised by Reading
    App Builder.

So it seems like if you inserted a .tif file in the .docx it should have worked. We have had times where Word inserted an .emf file, which RAB didn’t like at all, but that showed up in the Source tab and we were able to track it down.

Bottom line is that .png and .jpg are the best formats to use, and if you are having image problems, you should verify what formats are being used.

• jala_mye
    Participant
    #93035 |

I am having a similar problem in that some of the picture books I am importing from Word docs are getting assigned different backslash codes than the others and not being recognized by RAB 3.5 as Picture Books, which is problematic for adding the audio. I am getting \normal \fig instead of just \img like all my other books.

Here is what I see in the Source tab:

\c 1
    \normal \fig Sutawa Syunkha Mara2-image1.jpeg \fig*\fig Sutawa Syunkha Mara2-image1.jpeg \fig*
    \normal \bd S\bd*\bd û̌tawa Syû̌nkha Marǎ\bd*

\c 2
    \normal \fig Sutawa Syunkha Mara2-image2.jpeg \fig*\fig Sutawa Syunkha Mara2-image2.jpeg \fig*
    \normal Lǎ niharu, cahwǎ phaomu lapra. Anǎn aòdò cwǎn mwaǐ athá keinbla la pra.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.