We need a way to make it easier to get all the audio

• Profile photo of LorenHLorenH
    Participant
    #604 |

We are going strong with the Scripture apps. My current strategy is to set them to download from ScriptureEarth.org if available there, or from Faith Comes By Hearing if only available there. I encourage those distributing to put all the audio on the device for the user when they can. This process is not terribly hard, but a bit difficult for the non-tech oriented distributor. Also, a number of our teams are interested in using the Bible Box device that is a router turned into a mini-server for wireless access where there is no Internet.

The Bible Box approach has a some problems. You have to download a file at a time. You can put all the audio in one big zip file, but not all Android devices have the software to handle that.

What we REALLY need, I think is a function in the app to download the audio for an entire book at a time and ideally to also be able to just download the entire audio for all books in one shot. This way, if someone is in a location with Internet, they could easily get it all. I suppose there might be issues with some audio providers on what they allow, but if we could build the apps with these options when the provider allows it, that would be a huge help to those distributing the apps.

• Profile photo of RichardRichard
    Participant
    #605 |

Thanks, Loren. Yes, this is already on the ‘To Do’ list of SAB enhancement requests:

http://software.sil.org/scriptureappbuilder/developer/

Participant
    #609 |

Awesome! Thanks, Richard. –Loren

Participant
    #670 |

Richard, any broad estimate on the time frame for the multiple chapter / book level download to be added? I am now playing with embedding 3gp files, and am struggling with sorting through the many options. It might help to know how long it will be before we have this additional feature.

• Profile photo of RichardRichard
    Participant
    #673 |

Loren, it’s one of the features planned for the next few months. I can’t say exactly, but hopefully by this summer.

Participant
      #680 |

Thanks. That’s helpful. The direction I am now leaning toward is to embed the Gospel of Mark using 3gp in the app for the Play Store and leave the rest to be downloaded on demand. This would give people a good chunk to work with without additional download, but keep the installation file fairly small.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.