Wireless Security Modes WPA Personal and WPA Enterprise removed

• Marcelo Reimer
    Participant
    #140 |

Hi all,
    We have a wireless network running on Linksys WRT54GL routers with DD-WRT firmware.
    I recently changed our wireless access code and we started having problems with about 3 devices out of 90. What I noticed is that on those devices I was unable to select WPA Personal which is the security mode we are using on the routers.
    It seems as if Microsoft removed it as WPA is less secure than WPA2 but strangely WEP security mode is still available. I thought that WEP is actually less secure than WPA.
    Our routers are capable of using WPA2 Personal, other than reconfiguring some or many of the devices to use the WPA2 security mode is there anything else I need to be careful of or pay attention to?

• Marcelo Reimer
    Participant
    #144 |

Reply by Chris Hecht

Rather than having to change a large number of computers, you might want to consider adding a second WLAN to the router with WPA2 enabled only on the second WLAN. It will require a different SSID but that should not be a major issue since you will need to reconfigure the clients that can only use WPA2 anyway. Technically, the wireless ‘N’ spec requires AES encryption so requires WPA2 since WPA uses TKIP encryption. You can look at DD-WRT documentation on multiple WLANs here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.